Friday, January 27, 2012

Where to Find Jobs - Part 1

So you can totally know how to write an awesome cover letter or resume but if you can't find any jobs to apply for then those other things are irrelevant.


This is the first blog post on finding a job. 
It's important to remember though that it's often said that almost 80% of jobs aren't advertised or posted, so make use of the people you know; network, ask your professors, your parents, friends or family friends. They just might be able to help you get a job this summer or even after graduation.

Job opportunities;
One of my favourite websites is Talent Egg. You can also like them on Facebook and you will get updates of recent jobs on your newsfeed.

Check city/provincial websites;
Government of Ontario (this site is updated almost every week, beginning soon)
If the city you're from isn't listed here just Google it, it won't be too hard to find
Application deadlines will be very soon for these jobs. Make sure to check these dates.

University websites

Also Google "your university name" student job opportunities
Most universities/colleges will have a student job board.

This list obviously can't have all the jobs available on it, but it's a starting point. 
Good luck with any jobs you apply for!

___________________________________________________________________
Image: http://www.bluegrasschapter-ai.org/image/template/job_board.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Do you know of any resources that can help students find summer work overseas? Particularly in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's something I have definitely considered looking at myself, but because I am a co-op student I don't think I will have the opportunity to do so.
    I know student groups like
    http://aiesec.ca/en provide international internships
    Here's also a little bit of information through my school, the University of Guelph as well.
    http://www.uoguelph.ca/cip/CMSPDF/work%20abroad%20presentation.pdf?CFID=17433080&CFTOKEN=2240759717e7b83f-0AF9B2BA-C5B9-5796-E008328FF512352B&jsessionid=26303c8f848c3b6e4767
    Hopefully this helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love using Talent Egg! I have found many legitimate summer jobs through the use of it. I talk about Talent Egg as well as other ways to find jobs in my most recent blog posting here:

    http://studentjobhunt.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/looking-in-all-the-wrong-places/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, thanks so much for linking to my post on your blog. I read through the first 2 articles and really liked them. I'm sure there will be times in the near future where we overlap again!
      Also I completely agree, TalentEgg is a great site and hopefully students keep using it.

      Delete